Re: Someone to do the "donkey work"? (take II)

Subject: Re: Someone to do the "donkey work"? (take II)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Technical Writing" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 08:53:24 -0800

This is my arguement for up-front document plans that have buy-in from
management (both yours and the developers').

If you have a big project to do that requires a lot of different kinds
of work, laying out everything that needs to be done and the available
resources to do it may reveal that the project requires (a) more time,
(b) more resources, or (c) to become a smaller project. Writers often
plead for more time and/or more resources, but more often than not
writers just accept that the development or marketing manager's initial
concept of the project scope is some sort of chiseled-in-stone absolute
that cannot be changed without bring on the Apocalypse (because only
technical writers have resource and budget constraints, of course).
Usually, when I've gone to talk to these people and told them there's no
way to give them everything on their list on time and within budget, the
reply is something along the lines of "so how close can we get, and what
can we live without until a future rev?"

Gene Kim-Eng