RE: FrameMaker to CHM

Subject: RE: FrameMaker to CHM
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Jennifer Randel" <jennifer_randel -at- khsd -dot- k12 -dot- ca -dot- us>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 13:13:22 -0700

Jennifer Randel wrote:

> I've just been assigned the task of creating CHM files, which I've
never
> done. I'm currently working in FM 7.2 on a WinXP box.
>
> Is there an application that I can plug into Frame to generate CHM
files or
> will I have to recreate my docs in another application to produce
CHM's?

A CHM is a Windows help file. Any HAT (help authoring tool) can produce
one. AFAIK, the HATs that can use FM files as their source are Mif2Go,
WebWorks ePublisher Pro, and RoboHelp. The latter two are much more
expensive than Mif2Go, but it's best suited for someone with a bit of a
technical bent who's not afraid of tweaking scores of settings in a
config file. If you prefer doing it all in a GUI and have to choose
between the latter two, you might consider upgrading to the Adobe
Technical Communications Suite, which gives you special versions of FM
and RoboHelp that "co-operate" with each other more than the standalone
versions.

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer