Re: Exempt status for Tech Writers

Subject: Re: Exempt status for Tech Writers
From: Suzette Leeming <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Downing, David" <david -dot- downing -at- fiserv -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:10:58 -0500

If the overtime is only occasional, and lieu time is given in place of
overtime, then I have no issue. I have a problem with employers who
regularly expect uncompensated overtime, or if such overtime is required
because there simply is too much work for the staffing level. I really care
about my work, and if I need to stay an hour or so to finish something up,
or if there's an important deadline (not the result of poor planning on
management's part), then I definitely commit to the job, and won't
necessarily expect to be compensated.

Bottom line is I don't like being taken advantage of.

In my current situation, we have close to 50 developers, a suite of
financial software that is quite complex with a dozen subsystems, and we
maintain documentation for three versions of the software (current release,
last release and in development), including pdf manuals and online help, as
well as a knowledgebase, and training materials. And we have one technical
writer (me). If I were to put in 12-15 hour days, I would be able to get it
all done, but then they would never realize they need another techwriter. I
would quickly burn out and they would be up the proverbial creek. So, I draw
the line and severely limit overtime.

I'm glad the labour laws are different in Canada, as I am salaried but not
deemed exempt, and can still call myself a professional.

Suzette Leeming

http://www.doctohelp.com