Re: "Opportunistic"

Subject: Re: "Opportunistic"
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: "Downing, David" <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 12:23:05 -0800

Downing, David wrote:

> Robert_Johnson -at- percussion -dot- com wrote:
>> Some of my co-workers would like to use this word, but others are
>> concerned about the negative connotation.
>
> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/opportunistic
>
> (1) The first definition is, ion fact, neutral.

Yes! And that is why I don't think it is the word Robert Johnson is
jamming toward. He's looking for a positive action word that expresses
something like entrepreneurial prowess, where you go out and really
shake the trees, and then service any opportunities that fall out.

But I've been thinking all along that "opportunistic" had a connotation
of chance opportunities. It may be edifying to note that chance
opportunities are the opposite of opportunities that one makes happen by
hustling effectively.

I think what they both have in common is that you have to be prepared to
seize the opportunity when it comes along. I think an opportunist would
be better prepared in some ways to do this than a hustler and go-getter
would be.

Whether Opportunism has a standard recommended level of preparedness is
anybody's guess. Dictionaries haven't shed much light on that yet.

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com

http://www.doctohelp.com