RE: Proper definition for "acronym" (was A vs, an)

Subject: RE: Proper definition for "acronym" (was A vs, an)
From: "Chris Vickery" <cvickery -at- arenasolutions -dot- com>
To: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>, "Nancy Allison" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, "Downing, David" <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:13:46 -0800

" Unless one is addressing an academic audience, the word acronym may be
used to refer to any word formed from the initials of other words."

This seems very wise to me. Insisting on the proper use of the term
"initialism" does not get you invited to a lot of parties and, while we
may find the distinction interesting, it tends to result in the listener
cocking his or her head at an angle usually observed in dogs hearing the
Bee Gees.

Chris