RE: "Gage"

Subject: RE: "Gage"
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Downing, David" <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>, "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 09:52:19 -0500

Downing, David admitted:
> Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 4:04 PM
> To: Lauren; techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: RE: "Gage"
>
> Well, "color" and "favor" happened before my lifetime, so I grew up
with
> those and thus, they don't bother me. But this is yet another example
of
> the question of where we draw the line between corruption of the
> language and linguistic drift.

When I try to assert a stand against, not linguistic drift, but
linguistic decay, people often throw "colour/color" and "favour/favor"
in my face (stings only briefly, and washes off easily...).

I then ask them if they see me as merely a codger-with-no-life
complaining about "progress" or if they comprehend the notion of
utility. This strikes many people as a non-sequitur, and generates
puzzled looks (among other things).

When colour (a French word, imported and twisted a bit by Brits who had
really cozy dealings with French (well, at least Norman) folks for a
period during their formative years...) lost its vestigial "u" among
Americans, what utility was lost to the language and its users?
None, I submit.

But we recently had this argument on this very list, about
assure/ensure/insure. Those are distinct words. They have distinct
meanings with not a lot of overlap. Munge them all together and use them
as though they are completely interchangeable, and you have destroyed
your ability to make those distinctions. You have helped to cripple your
language and reduce some of its range and subtlety. Congratulations, how
does it feel to be one who raises the average IQ of a room... by
departing?

How long before we succumb to those who can't differentiate among
to/too/two? They're at the gates! Gasp! Wheeze!.... Kak! (oops,
hairball)

By the way, that's the generic, if-the-shoe-fits-"you", and does _not_
refer to David or Lauren... they're both smarter than I am. Kinda. :-)

- Kevin (a Canadian, who swings both ways on color/colour and
favor/favour)

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com