RE: wisdom from freelancers

Subject: RE: wisdom from freelancers
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "voxwoman" <voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com>, <nerfherder320 -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 11:05:12 -0400

Wendy (voxwoman) advised:

>[...]

> One other thing to consider: 1-year contracts frequently get extended
or
> turned into permanent jobs.

Didn't we have a thread on this list a couple of months ago, wherein
people who were highly valued were nevertheless laid off and _kept_ off
for some government mandated period of time, to avoid having them change
employment categories (I'm Canadian, so I don't normally bother to
remember what your tax department means by W2 and that other
designation... but apparently those'd be important considerations both
for the contractor/employee and for the employer).

You'd want to be careful about the terms of the contract and what
category you fell into, before making the decision.
If they really like what you do at job A, but the rules force them to
drop you at the end of the year and avoid breathing the same air as you
for 100 days following, it might not be the best situation for the OP
one year from now. I'm not saying don't do it. I'm saying clarify and
look at all angles before deciding.

- Kevin

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com