Re: Looking for a Start-up swapper

Subject: Re: Looking for a Start-up swapper
From: "Sandy Harris" <sandyinchina -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 22:30:52 +0800

John Posada <jposada99 -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Sometimes I need as much free memory as possible, and some times I
> like having my various TSRs (does that show my age?) loaded.
>
> I'm looking for something that sits in memory that let's me add and
> remove the various "things" that load in memory on startup, some times
> I may want a minimum number of memory resident programs, such as
> Weather Channel, and sometimes I want it to start up with them..
> Anyone know of that kind of beast?
>
> Does that make sense?

Sure, but if your machine can take more RAM, far the easiest solution
is to just add as much as possible.

On any Unix with a System V type of init program, which includes most
Linux releases, doing what you want is straightforward. You can define
services to work at various "run levels" and then change run level with
a command such as "telinit". The system will automatically start and
stop services as required so only the ones at the current run level are
running.

On Windows, can you kluge it by defining multiple users? Log in as
"John" and you get your usual environment. "Johnnie" gets minimal
services, lots of free memory. "Johannes" gets extra stuff loaded.

Can you move things into the browser? I don't have TSRs for news
or weather reports; I just have the browser set to open those pages
on startup. When I need lots of memory for something else, I just
don't open the browser.

--
Sandy Harris,
Quanzhou, Fujian, China