Font fondling - a practical application

Subject: Font fondling - a practical application
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 13:00:52 -0400

We just had an e-mail conversation go round our office, in which we
discussed a certain Linux command, including the particular flags and
options needed for our situation (and our customers' situation).
The troublesome flag was a dash followed by a lowercase letter "eye".
The first problem was that Outlook "helped".
The original writer saw (in his head) what he was writing, but failed to
notice that Outlook helpfully converted " -i " to " -I " as he typed.
The default font for many of us is Arial.
So, some of us thought we were reading " -l " (dash lowercase ell),
since the uppercase eye and the lowercase ell are visually identical in
that font.
Confusion, but not much merriment ensued.

Oi.

Glad that one didn't go out the door in the Customer docs.
Wonder what others... did? Must go look now.

- Kevin

or disclosing it.

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/