RE: "and then," or simply "then"?

Subject: RE: "and then," or simply "then"?
From: "Sarah Blake" <Sarah -dot- Blake -at- microfocus -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:21:04 +0100

> is this topic still going well remember that oral and written
> communication are actually different

And what has that got to do with the price of fish?

My point (for anyone who still cares) was that there is a subtle
distinction between the way that I interpret 'then' constructions and
the way that I interpret other adverb constructions. Using pauses in
speech as an example just seemed the clearest method of trying to
explain the distinction, which is that the former is two
separate-but-related steps, but the latter is two sub-steps that
comprise a single step. Given that interpretation of 'then'
constructions it's just /odd/ to be brought up short in the middle of
them.

(Hey, someone asked whether using the 'and then' construction really
affected readability for some audiences; I was just providing a data
point.)

This distinction may be grammatically invalid, but that just opens the
door to a discussion of the relationship between grammar, language and
the communication of subtle shades of meaning.

Which is probably a discussion for a list other than this one.

Sarah Blake
(who, incidentally, is now fascinatedly wondering whether Sean really
does speak in an unpunctuated monotone.)