Re: Request writing services form

Subject: Re: Request writing services form
From: "Kathleen MacDowell" <kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com>
To: docbox -at- docboxconsulting -dot- com
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 00:43:12 -0500

To some degree, it's going to depend on the purpose of the form. Is it
going to be for charging other departments for the work, for
justifying the technical writers, to control/funnel the process
better, to establish procedures (for the sake of ...), to establish
timelines, to coordinate departments, or ...?

Depending on how many departments are involved, I think some basic
components would be the following:

requesting dept and/or person
date of request
target deadline(s)
type of material to be produced, maybe a check list (handout,
bulletin, manual, website, etc.)
target audience
material source (e.g., blueprints, old content, project plan, code)
when the material will be available (this can be tricky, so it would
be nice to have a committment, especially if you're documenting an
interface)
consultants/SMEs
review team
publishing info/final product (print, CD, web, video, powerpoint)
publishing contact
budget info
special requirements or formats, such as specs, standards, safety
info., or software

HTH

Kathleen
On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 1:37 PM, docbox -at- docboxconsulting -dot- com
<docbox -at- docboxconsulting -dot- com> wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> My boss has asked me to come up with a form that other departments can use
> to request technical writing services. I've searched through the archives
> looking for suggestions and have not found that much.
>
> When starting a new project, what questions do you ask? What type of
> questions might you include on a writing services request form?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Kim N

> mail2web.com â Enhanced email for the mobile individual based on Microsoft(R)
> Exchange - http://link.mail2web.com/Personal/EnhancedEmail

> ComponentOne Doc-To-Help gives you everything you need to author and
> publish quality Help, Web, and print content. Perfect for technical
> authors, developers, and policy writers. Download a FREE trial.
> http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com -dot-

> or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/kathleen%40writefortheuser.com

Kathleen MacDowell
www.writefortheuser.com

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/