Re: WaH

Subject: Re: WaH
From: "Kathleen MacDowell" <kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com>
To: ArroxaneUllman -at- aol -dot- com
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 23:05:31 -0500

Oh dear, that sounds tricky. Might it help to broach the subject with
the boss and ask if he/she has an idea what is missing. Perhaps
there's something "they" use as a cue or indicator that no one has
passed on to you; could even be minor. or, could it be something like
contributing to the birthdays, going to lunch, ...?

The hard part about working at home for me is it makes it that much
harder to make "office" friends. I'm a bit slow about that as it is.
And as a contractor, I always feel I have to be on my toes. It's kind
of a catch 22 carefully walked (that's a mixed metaphor, isn't it?).

Maybe someone with political savvies can come up with more ideas. I
liked John Posada's Visio approach, in the sense of trying to find a
way for the grumblers to see that you recognize their worth and/or
would like to be part of the team (sounds funny, doesn't it,
especially considering how much of a pain us TW's are to SMEs). Not
necessarily easy to do, but it's easy to understand how much some kind
of acknowledgement means, especially if it's valid. This topic reminds
me that I neglect that with my co-workers some times, so that's
positive!

Good luck and think positive!

Regards,

Kathleen

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 9:15 PM, <ArroxaneUllman -at- aol -dot- com> wrote:
> Thanks for the sympathy, Kathleen.
>
> The reason this came up is that my boss mentioned it somewhat off-handedly
> today. I got the impression that the idea came from something someone said
> (again, probably off-handedly). I suspect this indicates an underlying concern
> from my coworkers. I want to take steps to show that I am working on projects
> and to what degree. Especially since it's apparent that my current actions
> (being in the office most of the time, providing deliverables, working long
> days, always available on IM/SMS, et cetera) do not give the right impression to
> at least someone who has the boss' ear.
>
> Arroxane
>

> In a message dated 9/11/2008 3:33:00 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com writes:
>
> Hi Arroxane,
>
> It sounds like an uncomfortable situation that you've done everything
> you could to resolve. It must be hard to be putting out great work and
> not getting any recognition, or the opposite.
>
> You didn't say what it was that made you feel like they don't think
> you're doing anything. Maybe people could offer something more
> concrete if they knew. (at least we can hope so :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Kathleen
>

> **************Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog,
> plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.
> (http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=aolsty00050000000014)
>
> ComponentOne Doc-To-Help gives you everything you need to author and
> publish quality Help, Web, and print content. Perfect for technical
> authors, developers, and policy writers. Download a FREE trial.
> http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com -dot-

> or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/kathleen%40writefortheuser.com

Kathleen MacDowell
www.writefortheuser.com

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/