Re: Senior Tech Writer classification

Subject: Re: Senior Tech Writer classification
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 07:47:56 -0700

Is being at the top of your profession really a problem
if there's income headroom?

Where do you want to go from where you are?

Instead of playing games with job titles like "information
developer," technical writer pay grades should be on a
par with developer grades, which puts a senior writer in
the same "boat" as a senior developer or engineer.

If you're writing for a tech company, the Radfords are
about as accurate as it gets. Radford tech survey data
is at least targeted to technology companies (and from
technology companies with the interest and resources
to spend money on joining the survey at that), so your
compensation is not being compared to that of someone
with the same title who is writing "rinse, lather, repeat"
(not saying this is necessarily less valuable, but the
reality is that it's less highly paid). Woe unto you if your
company is using the DOL data that the current STC
surveys are based on.

Gene Kim-Eng