Re: Contracting/Freelancing question: what is billable?

Subject: Re: Contracting/Freelancing question: what is billable?
From: Jay Maechtlen <techwriter -at- covad -dot- net>
To: Tracey Bean <traceybean -at- verizon -dot- net>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:52:20 -0700

Tracey Bean wrote:
> Hi all -- I'm sure this has come up before, but I've not been able to
> find anything recent in the archives.

> What I'm unsure about:
>
> 1. Time spent learning Flare
> 2. Time spent learning CSS well enough to work with Flare

In the course of supporting a client I needed to learn a new software
package. I did have a hand in suggesting that package.
I didn't charge for the time I spent learning how to kinda function with
it. After that. I mostly charged for time using it, even though
initially I wasn't that hot with it.
(actually, it was a CadCam package for NC code generation)
We had the guy who sold the package to the client do some programming,
but he didn't know NC code or machine limitations, so it didn't work out
all that well
They still use me, and I'm a lot better with it now.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
;-)

Jay
--
Jay Maechtlen