Re: Coworker who won't take no for an answer

Subject: Re: Coworker who won't take no for an answer
From: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Ned Bedinger" <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:35:44 +0530

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 4:22 AM, Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com> wrote:
> He's a nice, mild-mannered kid, but try as I did, I wasn't able to shape
> his behavior at all. The lessons of heavy corrective measures or
> discipline (the 2x4 or 4x4 approach) would have been wasted on him. I
> eventually learned the true meaning of it was rooted in his neurological
> make-up. He is quasi-autistic (Asberger's Syndrome). Apparently, there
> are degrees of autism, and in some people it produces not only some
> degree of the characteristic self-absorption (I want to use the clinical
> term for being unaware of other people here, but can't recall it) but
> also sometimes the aforementioned intellectual facility. At the far end
> of the scale I think you get eidetic savants, like the differently-abled
> characters who don't ever learn to make toast or tie shoes but can play
> Chopin the first time they ever touch a piano. You know, someone like
> the character portrayed in the movie "Rain Man"

Ah... well, pardon me if this is a faux pas of sorts, but I didn't
really know that that "differently-enabledness" also worked for
geeks/hackers/software engineers etc. If the geek in question in this
thread is actually affected by something like that... well... I would
honestly say I haven't a clue of how to handle that. My post about
heavy vehicles and clue sticks was intended to deal with geeks, albeit
those that pass as ""normal"" - not the type you mention.

Thanks for the additional information, however.

Regards
Ed.

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/