Re: Coworker who won't take no for an answer

Subject: Re: Coworker who won't take no for an answer
From: Jan Cohen <najnehoc -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:57:11 -0700 (PDT)

Now-a-days I lurk more than anything else, but the situation in question reminds me of an expression I was introduced to way back when: don't sh*t where you eat. Unfortunately, there are sometimes those who can't quite grasp that concept and Patricia's situation may be indicative of one of those instances. Without being directly privy to the context though, it's difficult to make an objective analysis, let alone recommend a truly effective course of action. Furthermore, this being a list geared toward technical writing, I'll hazard a guess that a relatively small (if any) percentage of this list's subscribers have the professional qualifications to recommend the kind of sound advice Patricia may need (short of the relatively sparse training many of us get by way of our employers). Advice being what it often is, good or bad, this probably isn't the kind of list (or place) where Patricia ought to be seeking it.

Anyway, my recommendation would be say a resounding NO to such advances and if that doesn't work, let your manager and HR deal with it. Like it or not, they're the ones that are supposed to be professionally equipped to deal with such things. In the meantime, document anything that happens.

jan c.

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/