Re: Coworker who won't take no for an answer

Subject: Re: Coworker who won't take no for an answer
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:29:29 -0700

"Context" is not relevant in a situation of this nature.
It is the perception of the person on the receiving end
of the behavior, especially if it continues after that
person has specifically asked that it stop. Any behavior
that interferes with the smooth operation of a work
environment is unacceptable, whether it is motivated
by a "crush" or just someone's obsession with
evangelizing their leisure time activities to the
uninterested, and it is always a management issue.

As a manager, my preference is for an employee who
feels he or she is on the receiving end of any kind of
unacceptable attention to bring it to me as early as
possible, even if the employee isn't quite certain that
it really represents an issue. If it really isn't an issue,
getting a second opinion can help reach that conclusion
with less stress, and if it isn't an issue *yet* but is on its
way to becoming one, early intervention below the level
of "let's go to HR with this," such as a general reminder
to the group on what represents unacceptable workplace
behavior or a private conversation with the coworker
about behavior that has been generally observed that
doesn't name names of complainers may be able to
nip it in the bud. And if it doesn't, then at least I would
have some first-hand knowledge of the situation that
I could take to HR if things were not resolved. I would
not EVER tell an employee who brought a troubling
situation to my attention to "take it to HR." We would
discuss it and attempt to arrive at a resolution at the
group level, and if we did not feel or agree that this
could be accomplished we would go to HR together
for guidance on how to proceed next.

Gene Kim-Eng