Re: Coworker who won't take no for an answer

Subject: Re: Coworker who won't take no for an answer
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <john -at- garisons -dot- com>, "Blount, Patricia A" <Patricia -dot- Blount -at- ca -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:14:55 -0700

Based on Patricia's original post there have already been
eight or nine LWLs, finally followed by a (probably not LWL)
statement that she and her sons think the coworker's hobby
is "lame" (am I the only one who's thinking this hobby likely
involves either comic books or Star Trek?) The next step is
a direct "I don't want to have this conversation again" that
presents no further reasons that the coworker can make
additional attempts to campaign against, and a private
conversation with her manager. She has no way of
knowing how many others he may have behaved this way
toward, what actions if any management may have taken
in the past to attempt to deal with previous incidents, or
how he may have reacted to previous attempts by others
to cut this behavior off. Any potential "devastating
consequences" or effects on the project that escalation
may have will pale in comparison to the consequences or
effects that may result if any of coworker's other "hobbies"
happen to involve sharp objects or firearms.

As professionals in our field, what results do we usually
expect when the untrained attempt to handle the unfamiliar
without proper support?

Gene Kim-Eng