RE: Variety in Tech Writing (was: Display, Displays, or Appears)

Subject: RE: Variety in Tech Writing (was: Display, Displays, or Appears)
From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: "'Gene Kim-Eng'" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 13:57:15 -0700

Some apps have bad instructions and some instructions are for bad apps. I
just try to account for possible issues that can arise. I generally do not
use phrases like, "the xxx dialog appears," but I do try to address the fact
that one task should launch a new window. I guess in your example, the
existence of the appropriate window is implied, but to arbitrarily say to
leave out the step that the window appears could inadvertently leave out the
implication that the window has spawned. <ooh, look, three terms to
reference the same element, and all in one paragraph. "Launch," "appears,"
and "spawns." I'm so bad.>

Gene, is what follows an example of your suggestion? I would write a
procedure like this. Each step results in some action, so if a step is
performed and nothing happens, then the user will know that there is an
error. I've had instructions refer to a window, but there was no reference
for how that window was opened (another term?) and stepping back through
instructions was not insightful. Like in Word, sometimes there is a
reference to a widget from the x menu, but no reference to getting to the
menu that lets me know why I can't see the menu. I realize that is the
product of bad writing, but the bad writing of other authors leads me to get
picky about my own writing. Also notice in my example that the final step
concludes with the procedure's name to indicate completion of the procedure.
I think that sort of thing is helpful when it is feasible.

To Print
--------
1. Click "File" from the toolbar.
2. Select and click "Print..." from the dropdown list.
3. Choose print options from the print window.
4. Click "OK" to print.

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList