RE: Variety in Tech Writing (was: Display, Displays, or Appears)

Subject: RE: Variety in Tech Writing (was: Display, Displays, or Appears)
From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: "'Gene Kim-Eng'" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 12:39:36 -0700

> From: Gene Kim-Eng

> Instead of saying 1) do this, 2) the xxx dialog appears,
> 3) do this in the xxx dialog, just leave out step 2 and see
> if it still makes sense.

It won't make sense if there was an error that prevents the dialog box from
appearing. I like to account for possible errors in my documentation in
some way, whether those errors were caused by the user or the application.

For example, I have referred to user instructions or help files that refer
to some widget that was supposed appear somewhere along the way, but I don't
see it. When I back-track through the documentation to find where the error
occurred, then I want to see the introduction of that widget somewhere and
not just read assumptions about its existence in the documentation when the
widget was not open when my task began.

Errors like these are consistent with issues I have when an online
application is built for Internet Explorer and I use Firefox. If I can find
out where a widget was spawned, then I can sometimes forcibly spawn it by
by-passing a piece of javascript "open" code, or some other nuisance.

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList