RE: Variety in Tech Writing (was: Display, Displays, or Appears)

Subject: RE: Variety in Tech Writing (was: Display, Displays, or Appears)
From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: <jlshaeffer -at- aol -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 12:28:16 -0700

> From: jlshaeffer -at- aol -dot- com

> I read Lauren's post as indicating that the usages only
> varied with different style guides and different corporate
> cultures. I assumed no variety inside of any one document set.
> We tech writers tend to worship at the altar of consistency.
> Usually, this includes enforcing a "one word = one meaning
> and one meaning = one word" rule. Being boring is seen as
> enhancing clear communication.

I did mean that I use a variety of usages depending on environment. But
when I am in a particular environment, I do maintain consistency in my
documentation. I tend to adopt a mini-style guide for my use during a
project when my client does not have a style guide. The usage that I adopt
in my style is based on other documents that my client has, so that my
documentation tends to fit-in. I will not incorporate bad writing to make
my documentation fit-in, but I will try to match the voice that my client's
documentation has.

I do follow the "one word = one meaning and one meaning = one word" rule,
/per/ client. But across multiple clients, there could be a variety.
Windows appear in a set of documents for one client, but another client may
see windows open, while yet another may have them display. One document or
document set will not have windows appear, open, and display, when each term
refers to the same action.

I have had cases where a window may open, but a screen will display, while a
prompt appears. If I have three different elements, then I would like those
three elements to perform different actions to prevent confusion. Although,
I do need to review the document within the environment for which it was
intended to determine what convention I will use.

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList