Converting Word files into XML

Subject: Converting Word files into XML
From: Kevin McGowan <thatguy_80 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 11:39:06 -0400

Hi all,

Recently started another new contract, and will most likely be moving some existing, thankfully small, documents from Word format into DITA - XML via FrameMaker or XMetal.

Thing is, I just chatted with a couple of guys here who's exclusive job it is to take GIANT Word file (they could range from 50-1200 pages) and convert them into XML (not DITA, but some other DTD). I just got a tour of what they do, and they literally go through line-by-line in Dreamweaver, assigning tags as they go.

Has no one yet developed an amazing little tool that could map Word styles into XML tags to provide clean output? There's gotta be a faster way to do this, isn't there?

Cheers,
Kevin

If you like crossword puzzles, then you'll love Flexicon, a game which combines four overlapping crossword puzzles into one!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/208

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList