Re: Seen the STC Survey on May 22? (Was: TC definition)

Subject: Re: Seen the STC Survey on May 22? (Was: TC definition)
From: linda_sims -at- vanguard -dot- com
To: " TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 15:40:13 -0400

Gene Kim Eng wrote on 05/27/2008 03:27:45 PM:

> The same could be said for "medicine." How many
> neurosurgeons or oncologists do you know who want
> to be introduced at a party as a "medical professional?"
> The problem with "technical communicator" as opposed
> to "technical writer," "illustrator," "editor," etc., is the same
> as "medical professional:" it may be usable as the most
> generic of occupational categories, but it tells those
> who hear it nothing about what you can do or why they
> might need you.
>
> Gene Kim-Eng

Except they'd probably be introduced as 'Doctor', not medical
professional, and then you have all the fun of finding out if they're a
JP, an MD, a PhD, a VetD (or however veterinarians are designated), and so
on and so forth.

And being introduced as doctor means that most people will immediately
assume that this is a doctor who can tell them why this bump they have on
their sacroiliac itches so much and won't go away.

Not all that much different, really, except people don't immediately jump
to the conclusion that a technical commununicator can explain how to run a
particle accelerator in 7 easy steps and will ask for further explanation.

Me, I think I'll stick to technical writer. Writing is what I do.

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT. The information contained in this e-mail message, including attachments, is the confidential information of, and/or is the property of, Vanguard. The information is intended for use solely by the individual or entity named in the message. If you are not an intended recipient or you received this in error, then any review, printing, copying, or distribution of any such information is prohibited, and please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail from your system.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList