Re: Tech Writer Lawsuit?

Subject: Re: Tech Writer Lawsuit?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 09:18:34 -0700

If you're an independent contractor, you're a vendor,
not an employee, and your rates and terms are
determined solely by your contract. If you bid the
contract as service by the hour, you work and bill by
the hours the client requires and are paid that way.
If you bid the contract as fixed price, you bill by the
deliverables and the hours you work and therefore
the hourly rate is entirely determined by what you
decide you need to complete the deliverables.

If you are an employee, the compensation equivalent
of billing by the hour is "nonexempt hourly," and the
equivalent of billing by fixed price for deliverables is
"exempt professional." Most companies I have
worked with prefer to hire technical writers as exempt
professional employees, and most technical writers I
have worked with who are employees prefer to work
that way.

Gene Kim-Eng