Re: Definition of Tech Writer, was STC is broken

Subject: Re: Definition of Tech Writer, was STC is broken
From: "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Beth Agnew" <Beth -dot- Agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 09:41:06 -0400

Really? The title is that magical?

I have to say something here, because this is going back to the age
old Dangerfield thread ("I can't get no respect")...

I have never had a problem earning the respect of those I work with. I
have never been sub-par with anyone I've worked with. Even now, with a
vague, newly invented title and wishy-washy job description (whatever
I happen to explain it as, until HR puts something down in the books),
I have no problem working with my peers (who range in title about 9
levels). My company is not enlightened, but the more proactive of us
certainly make it a point to behave as though anyone's problem is
everyone's problem, and so we work together to get things done. It's
about results, not who holds the loftier title, for many of us.

Salary is a very different beast, and the only guarantee of being on
the same pay level is to have the same job level on the books.
Otherwise there's always a chance of it fluctuating. But don't expect
a title to earn you more. I'm sure there are folks at my "level" in my
company who make a hell of a lot more than I do. It doesn't keep me up
at night, and I certainly don't hold any kind of grudge about it. I'm
sure there are many reasons why people make what they make. If HR ever
wants to level the playing field, I won't complain (so long as they
don't take away from anyone), but I won't complain either way. IMHO,
if you took a job at a particular pay level, and you're unhappy about
it, then why'd you take it in the first place?

The titles can be whatever you want to call them. In the end, it's not
about what badge you wear, but what you do day in and day out. If you
sit in front of your computer day in and day out doing what's
expected, get used to a modest salary with modest increases over time.
If you're up and making positive change and delivering results above
and beyond the call of duty, you'll be rewarded, whether your title is
Executive Grand Poobah and Master Chief Information Developer or
Janitor.

--
Bill Swallow
Senior Member STC, TechValley Chapter