Print on Demand services

Subject: Print on Demand services
From: William Gaffga <WilG -at- GibbsCAM -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 07:37:09 -0700

Greetings. This year we have removed printing manuals from our budget.
Whether you agree with this move or not ... well, we can start another
discussion on this beastie. Either way, we decided that a certain
percentage of our clients would still like to have the books, not just
help and PDFs.

So, Print-on-demand is a good solution. I started with eight services
and have narrowed the search to four: PrintOnDemand.com, BookStand
Publishing, BookSurge and OfficeMax is expanding their ImPress service
into this space.

We started a test with PrintOnDemand.com (aka lulu.com) as it looked
like the best choice but their service starts to break down when you
have 9 languages and ~25 books per language. There is no way to really
chunk this ... their structure is flat so I can't do separate sections
per language. I tried to get around this by adding some HTML and
breaking the content up on a page but their PHP won't (for whatever
reason) let anchor links work.

So ... does anybody use any of these services? Do you recommend a
different service? Oh, also, some services cannot cope with the
international nature of this, like sending books to somewhere "exotic"
like the Czech Republic (yes, that term was used). This last bit would
imply that it'd be nice if there was some possiblity of localization on
the site, or at least that we could hack in.

Thanks!

Will.
--
Will. Gaffga