Re: Part numbers for document deliverables

Subject: Re: Part numbers for document deliverables
From: "Paul Goble" <pgcommunication -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:05:26 -0600

> How do you come up or use part numbers for your document deliverables?

As Mike said, part numbers are primarily useful for items which are
part of a bill of materials, and the numbers are automatically
generated. In my little corner of Agilent Technologies, we use part
numbers like N4851-97002, where N4851 is the product number, 9
indicates that it's printed material, 7 indicates that it's a bound
manual, and 002 is the revision number. To avoid mixups on the
manufacturing line, every revision of a manual gets a new part number,
and the part number is printed as a barcode on the cover.

We use the part numbers to archive source files and print files on a
well-backed-up-server. The print files also go into our giant ERP
database. Online-only PDF manuals also get part numbers just like
printed manuals. When somebody reports an error, it's always nice to
have a part number so that I can tell unambiguously which version of
the document has the problem.

> Do you even need this for online help?

For online help, I always use the software development team's
configuration management system. That way, the appropriate version of
the help will automatically be built and packaged with the software.
"The online help for software version 02.045" is sufficient to
identify the version of the help.

--
Paul Goble

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList