RE: Searching remote servers in your own company

Subject: RE: Searching remote servers in your own company
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Andrew Warren" <awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:09:59 -0400

Web servers. But these are Windows 200x corporate fileservers. They
don't run extra stuff like apache on 'em. Or am I missing something
obvious?

I'm thinking of something along the lines of batch-able grep, possibly
outputting to a file with my userid in the name, to a standard place,
that could then be read by me (or by whoever instigated a search. The
directory would need to be purged daily or weekly of accumulated search
results. The result file would be nothing more than a text file
containing file paths that could be pasted into Windows Explorer.

Andrew Warren [mailto:awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com]
> Sent: Friday, April 25, 2008 14:59
> To: McLauchlan, Kevin; techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: RE: Searching remote servers in your own company
>
> McLauchlan, Kevin wrote:
>
> > If I [search] a company fileserver (that lives in another city), the
> > search eventually times out... but only after tying up the bandwidth
> > for my co-workers. That's because all the search action happens on
my
> > computer, using my CPU, but creating millions of transactions down
> > the fiber to the server.
> >
> > It strikes me that there _must_ exist server-side search utilities
>
> Kevin:
>
> There are. Do a Google search for:
>
> remote "google desktop search"
>
> and you'll find lots of web servers that integrate with Google Desktop
> Search to provide exactly what you want.
>
> -Andrew
>
> === Andrew Warren - awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com
> === Synaptics, Inc - Santa Clara, CA
or disclosing it.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList