Re: Calling all Technical Editors again!; Was, "RE: Writing Corrective Actions for customers?"

Subject: Re: Calling all Technical Editors again!; Was, "RE: Writing Corrective Actions for customers?"
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 23:40:38 -0400

I think that's a faulty assumption. As technical writers we know how to
quickly get up to speed on an area of content in which we do not have
specialized knowledge, and shape that content into something useful for
the audience. We are communications experts, not necessarily trained
experts in aerospace or any other discipline when we get started, but
we're people who can learn rapidly, understand deeply, empathize with
the user sufficiently to know what they need and how to say it, and
produce workable solutions to information problems.

The turnaround time is not anywhere near what it would take an expert in
the subject matter to learn how to communicate. If the "experts" were so
good at doing so, we wouldn't have a profession in the first place. The
plain truth is that they are not. Do we so quickly forget the unreadable
and unusable computer documentation written by the computer experts?
Your BIOS example proves that case. Dollars to doughnuts that
information that was so unhelpful was written by the computer expert and
not a skilled technical writer. I don't need to take a 4-year
engineering degree to be able to write about bearings, I only need to
determine the information needs of my audience, find where that
information resides, and bridge the two. Our skills are in
communications and information processing; we can apply that to any
industry.

It's an age-old debate that gluts the techwr-l archives, and I doubt
we'll ever get resolution. We're not saying the writer has no knowledge
at all, we're saying that technical writers have skills that enable them
to acquire a sufficient amount of subject knowledge in a short period of
time to get the job done. We are adept learners, most of us self-taught
in many subject areas, and we gain whatever knowledge we need, when we
need it. We are indeed experts, but experts in communication.
--Beth

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList