Re: Calling all Technical Editors again!; Was, "RE: Writing Corrective Actions for customers?"

Subject: Re: Calling all Technical Editors again!; Was, "RE: Writing Corrective Actions for customers?"
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>, "Ned Bedinger" <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:10:10 -0700

It's pretty much a waste of time and effort to debate which
is "more important," technical expertise or communications
expertise. Both are, and any time you have to select a
candidate who is lacking in either you are to some extent
compromising the ideal.

I can make an effective tech writer out of an experienced
technical person who has no writing experience but has
natural ability as a communicator.

I can make an effective tech writer out of an experienced
communications person who has no technical experience
but has natural ability to absorb technical material.

In a truly desperate situation, I might even be able to make
an effective tech writer out of someone who has no technical
*or* communications experience but has natural ability in
both areas.

Or, I can *hire* an effective tech writer if I can find someone
who already has both communications *and* technical
experience.

I don't really have to say which one I'd rather do if I had the
choice, do I?

Gene Kim-Eng