RE: Calling all Technical Editors again!; Was, "RE: Writing Corrective Actions for customers?"

Subject: RE: Calling all Technical Editors again!; Was, "RE: Writing Corrective Actions for customers?"
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>, "Ned Bedinger" <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 16:53:24 -0400

Gene Kim-Eng enthused:

> I think it depends on how you interpret this.
> "Minimum qualification" could mean, "I won't
> hire you as a writer unless you have this," or it
> could mean, "If you have at least this, there's a
> chance I can turn you into a reasonably
> effective writer." I favor the latter.

Well, I can see you not hiring me where you work at the moment, because
your industry has a long history and all those regulatory and other
standards, etc. But do you consider your criteria (above) to be
generally applicable, or just needed in your type of industry?

In 1998, I was hired at a startup company that made HSMs (Hardware
Security Modules... cards and other hardware critters that perform
cryptographic functions in secure and speedy fashion) and software
toolkits to go with. Before that time, never mind not having a degree in
cryptography, I had never even heard of HSMs. I was hired on the
strength of a good interview and having been a techwriter in computer
and telecomms industries for the preceding 14-or-so years. That's
perhaps more overlap than if I'd been applying to automotive or
aerospace companies, but not by much.
Today, I have ten years of industry-specific experience. If you were
Techpubs manager at this company, and another me-ish writer had just
left (after my/his ten years of fine service), and _this_ me applied
(who is writing this post, with my ten years of industry-specific
experience, plus the preceding 14 years of not-so-applicable stuff),
would you turn me away for not having "at least a subject-specific
degree"?
For that matter, would you even consider the me of ten years ago, who
had only the 14 years of non-crypto/HSM experience?
I think that when considering your favored interpretation, above, it's
necessary to know what "at least" means, if we want to generalize your
statement to any hiring situation that isn't at your company.

Just say "no" to creeping credentialitis.

Kevin
.
.
.