RE: Tool to clean up MS Word (2003)

Subject: RE: Tool to clean up MS Word (2003)
From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: "'SB'" <sylvia -dot- braunstein -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:49:56 -0700

Syvia,

I don't know of tool to do this, but here is what I would do. It might be
the long way to do things, but I don't know of a shortcut.

Get a clean document. Either do the next two steps or do what the MS link
suggests. I would do this step first to get rid of as many unused styles as
possible to make work a little easier.
1. Copy everything but the last paragraph mark of the document.
2. Paste the copied content into a clean document free of any styles, except
the non-deletables.

Clean-up the document.
1. Take an inventory of the style names that you want to keep.
2. Begin at the top of the document and replace styles that you do not want
with styles that you do want.
3. Use a global search and replace once you know the style name to replace
and check to make sure that styles are correctly applied after each replace.

If you're dealing with Word's wacky "style + format" feature (whatever it is
called), then you may have more work to do because you will need to either
set the style back to the default format or apply a new style without all of
the "+" stuff.

4. "Clean" the document again to eliminate unused styles now that they are
replaced.
5. Check the styles in the document to make sure that you got them all.

Alternative to above steps.
1. Take an inventory of the style names that you want to keep.
2. Create a new document with the styles that you want.
3. Print the document.
4. Copy the content of the messy document and paste it as plain text into
the new document.
5. Manually apply the correct styles and use your inventory and printout for
guidance.

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList