RE: Laptop power problem

Subject: RE: Laptop power problem
From: "Bob Colwell" <bob -dot- colwell -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "'Nancy Allison'" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 12:42:05 -0700

HP's are especially prone to this. The power connector is soldered directly
to the motherboard inside the laptop, and exerts a lot of torque on the
solder. Over time the solder breaks down and the connection becomes
intermittent. A friend's broke in this way and I was able to get my
soldering iron tip in far enough to resolder the connections. The
fundamental design problem still exists, of course, so it will break again
eventually, but short of really disassembling the laptop and replacing the
connector it's the best you can do.

If you google for something like "broken laptop power connector" you'll find
a lot of similar experiences. -BobC