Re: UML 2.0

Subject: Re: UML 2.0
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 11:25:55 +0900

Hi Jim -

Enterprise Architect sounds as though it does what you're after:
http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/products/ea.html

They also have some nice UML2 resources on their site:
http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/resources/uml2_tutorial/

The place where I'm working at the moment uses this product for UML
modeling, though not (or not yet) for generating C# source code, so I
can't tell you how well it works in practice.

This MS page might be what got your engineering manager excited:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/visio/HP815504511033.aspx

I like Visio for generating diagrams, and I've used the UML stencil to
create a few simple diagrams. I know that if you skim the MS marketing
pages and online help, it almost sounds like "... Visio UML stencil blah
blah template rhubarb generate source code!" But gee, before I went down
that path I'd really like to hear from someone trustworthy who says they
are actually doing this with production-level code right now and it works.

I bet there will be a bit of support in your company for using Visio,
because it will sound like the cheap option. I would suggest a small
trial of Visio and any other products that end up on your shortlist. Get
your team to recreate a few representative UML diagrams, then try to
generate actual usable code from them. Track how much effort it takes.

Good luck. Let us know how this ends up.

Stuart

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList