RE: When all they ever wanted was ....but we gave them a tree

Subject: RE: When all they ever wanted was ....but we gave them a tree
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 09:42:20 -0400

Daniel Ng wrote:

Our customers are factory production workers.

***********

Daniel, I have a similar audience. I'm in rural upstate New York and
some of our factory workers were born here but are functionally
illiterate. They know their jobs and are good at them, but some
operations must be broken down into their simplest and most direct one-
or two-page versions with pictures and circles and arrows.

We've been identifying where these are most needed by looking at safety
issues, where the least-experienced people are stationed, and where the
biggest downtime headaches occur on a recurring basis.

Management is one audience. Technical people such are IT and mechanics
are another audience. Daily production workers and trainers are still
another audience, and you are completely correct in your discovery that
different documents are needed for them. Essentially, the line workers
need basic training documents -- sometimes these need to be split even
further into "Quick Guides" to be laminated and posted at the point of
use, and "Detailed Training Guides" to be used by trainers and kept in a
reference book near the point of use. The "Quick Guide" becomes a
supporting document (the "Method" section) of the "Detailed Training
Guide" instruction.

Dori Green

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList