Re: Writers job description/definition

Subject: Re: Writers job description/definition
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 17:43:13 -0800

I'm remembering an IT project at a desperately immature company, in the
process maturity sense. The original documentation tome was written by
the architect. The product eventually became established in production
and later went through several major revisions, but the docs weren't
maintained. I drew the black spot, so I got the update project.

You know how it can be, in a climate of layoffs, when no one wants to
risk being the scapegoat for a bunch of past developers, who've since
moved on without documenting their work adequately? Well, one good way
to ensure that the doc update project will take too long is to stage it
under those circumstances.

Still, it can be done, as you say. Experienced tech writers and a
reasonably healthy document at the outset can go far toward that goal.

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList