Re: OT? Community and tech writing in real life (was Re: Ambiguous words and Phrases)

Subject: Re: OT? Community and tech writing in real life (was Re: Ambiguous words and Phrases)
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com >> Techwr-L List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:38:40 -0800

Tim Mantyla wrote:

> I support "real life" spillover occasionally, since our own lives revolve
> in "real life" as well as our "tech writer life" bubble at work.

If we are going to discuss health insurance documentary film making and
journalism, then let it be in aspects related to tech writing. Health
care and health insurance are real concerns for us, but if you run them
up the flagpole at techwr-l, without providing a tech writing context,
they should realistically get shot down.

Perhaps we should have a default tech writing context for all off-topic
posts. That context could be Simplified Technical English, which
doesn't get enough play on techwr-l anyway. So when the discussion
turns to browbeating Swallow about his monkey, or Combs' complaints
about the pachoulli-scented candles in the break room, we can give them
a dignified response. In favor? say Aye.

-- Ned "But Richard, what's wrong with Disiderata? It is nearly STE."

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList