Re: Need printer suggestions

Subject: Re: Need printer suggestions
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:08:02 -0500

Hi Craig, Techwhirlers:

We have an Epson for printing directly on CDs (I am a musician and we
produce our own music CDs), but have avoided getting one for daily use. Why?
The ink cost is extremely high. For one model, the ink cartridge was $54!
The printer was on sale for $34, but I put it back when I realized the ink
cost more than the printer! :-\

My Mom just got a new HP All-in-one (no Fax), and the inks (both color and
black) are only 14.99. It's fast and easy to use. I've used it, and the
print output is very good. It has a smaller footprint than my Canon (see
next).

I have an older Canon Multipass MP390 (with a photo card printer slot) that
scans, copies, faxes, and prints, all very well. It's a bit noisy, but it is
older. It prints very nice photos, and is very fast for text. This one does
not have a sheet feeder for faxing (due to the flatbed scanner) but I don't
send multiple pages that often. It's my second Canon Multipass, if that
tells you anything. The first one lasted about 8 years, and I think this one
is nearly 5. I think the ink pack (2 blacks and 1 color) are about $24 to
$28 depending on what brand and where purchased.

I hope this helps, and will be interested to see what other comments you
get.

PT

On Feb 18, 2008 3:31 PM, Cardimon, Craig <ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com> wrote:

> Our old HP d135 All-In-One is dying. It isn't pretty. The scanner is
> dead and the rest of it is looking a bit pale. The colors are way off,
> as well.
>

> We have two computers. An old Dell from 2002 (5300?) that keeps on
> ticking and a newer Sony Vaio. When our printer gets a bit more pitiful,
> I'm going to get a new one and try, again, to rig up a home network.
>

> I have tried before, without success, to create a network. I think our
> Dell is just too old. I tried making a network disk using its 3.5 slot
> (!). The Sony wouldn't read it and said the disc needed to be formatted,
> which I already did in the Dell.
>

> We need a decent home office printer that produces good text and good
> photos. High output is not necessary. We have a "home office" but no
> home business or anything like that just yet. Reading from camera memory
> cards would be nice, but we don't need it. Network ready would also be
> nice.
>

> I was thinking about the Epson Stylus Photo RX595 Photo All-in-One
> Printer, which got a nice review at
> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/13/technology/circuits/13printer.html
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/13/technology/circuits/13printer.html>
> , and is available at Amazon
> (http://www.amazon.com/Epson-Stylus-Photo-RX595-Printer/dp/B000SDW62O/re
> f=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1203356560&sr=8-1
> <http://www.amazon.com/Epson-Stylus-Photo-RX595-Printer/dp/B000SDW62O/re
> f=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1203356560&sr=8-1> )
>

> If anyone has an opinion, I would love to hear it. No, really.
>

> -- Craig
>

> *****************************************************************************************************************************************
> Information contained in this e-mail transmission is privileged and
> confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this email,
> do not read, distribute or reproduce this transmission (including any
> attachments). If you have received this e-mail in error, please
> immediately notify the sender by telephone or email reply.
>
> *****************************************************************************************************************************************
>
> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/pro.techwriter%40gmail.com

"Life is short, but there is always time enough for courtesy."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList