Re: tortoiseCVS and FM files

Subject: Re: tortoiseCVS and FM files
From: Laura Lemay <lemay -at- lauralemay -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 12:40:34 -0800

I think you've got some conceptual problems with how CVS works and
that's the causing many of your problems. It's different from other
source code control systems, and confusing in many ways.

Checking out in CVS (the cvs checkout command) just creates a local
working directory full of files. It isn't like other SCC systems
where a "checkout" gives you a locked local copy of a file for
editing. You should only need to check out a directory or a module
once, to get a local copy. You may need to re-checkout if you really
mess up your working directory, but usually you just do it once.

So how *do* you lock a single local file in CVS for editing ("check
out" a file in every other SCC system?) Usually, you don't. The CVS
model is that anyone can edit any file at any time, and then when the
changes are committed, you merge your changes with any changes any
one else has made. Its a collaborative system, not one in which a
single person owns a single file.

This is obviously more difficult for binary files, where if multiple
people work on the same file you can accidentally overwrite each
other's changes. I've fortunately only worked with small doc groups
where we were able to informally agree who was working with which
file at which time.

A quick google would indicate that it is possible to turn on locking
for CVS (you would use use cvs edit to check out a file for editing)
-- but you have to turn on "file watch" for the entire repository to
get that feature. You can't enable it for just a few directories or
modules.

The other issue I think you've got is tagging. Tags are markers for
files in time; you don't use them to get working copies of files.
You do use them if you want to get a specific version of a file
sometime in the past (usually a release version). So, for example,
if you were creating a document for Product X you might check in
working copies of that file for alpha and beta and then 1.0, and tag
the file for the 1.0 release. Then when you worked on it for 2.0 you
might make changes and check it back in again for alpha and beta and
2.0, and tag it again for 2.0. The tags would let you easily get the
1.0 or 2.0 versions back out again. You can always of course get a
previous version by date or by CVS's internal document version
number. The tag is just a shortcut. Personally: I've rarely used
tags. Plain old document archiving works better than CVS tagging for
getting old copies of docs, IMHO.

I've used CVS for docs at a bunch of jobs now. It's not exactly the
best of SCC systems, but it does work. It's
definitely better than no system at all.

Laura

--
Laura Lemay Killer of Trees lemay % lne.com lemay % gmail.com

--

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList