tortoiseCVS and FM files

Subject: tortoiseCVS and FM files
From: "Rédactrice Technique" <redaqtechnique -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:10:22 +0100

Hi folks,

Well, contrary to my personal preferences and wishes, the team here decided
that using CVS to store my docs would be a good idea. They're already using
CVS for code, and didn't want to migrate to SVN or spend the money on a new
versioning system.

So anyway, I'm using TortoiseCVS and have just committed the first lot of my
FrameMaker 8 books. I have set up a five-layer directory structure for my
books, so, for example, I have: Tech Documentation (Module)
.ProductType
..ProductName
...BookType
....FM book and various book files.

I then tagged the folder for each book with the version number, so for
example the folder Product Name Reference Manual is tagged v381.

After a half-hour's test, I've already run in the following problems:

It seems I can only check out my entire documentation directory every time,
and not just a particular book's folder.
I've tried to get round this by selecting Revision - Choose branch or tag,
but none of my carefully applied tags appear in the list, even after doing
an Update list.
Which begs the question, even if that worked, should I be tagging each file
with the product name as well as the version number, as I'm obviously going
to have multiple books with the version number v100?
If I drill down into the checked out folders, I can do a check-out using the
tagged version, but it check out the whole structure again, so that I end up
with:
Tech Documentation
.ProductType
..ProductName
...BookType
....Tech Documentation
.....ProductType
......ProductName
.......BookType
........FM book and various book files.

Is there any way around this?

In addition, my Framemaker books are all labelled with the version number,
i.e., ProductName Reference Manual v3.8.1. So each book file and associated
generated files (TOC, LOT, LOF) are then treated as new files by CVS. I
don't want to get rid of the version number from the book, as I find it
useful if I have two version open at the same time, but CVS is treating
these differently-versioned files as new files every time. Is there anything
I can do to make this better?

I apologise for the specificity and length of this mail, but frankly, I'm on
the verge of bursting into my boss's office and screaming, "I TOLD you this
was a ********* stoopid idea!" ;-)

Thanks in advance,

RT

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList