RE: Grammar Q

Subject: RE: Grammar Q
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 17:16:19 -0500

"Click the widget to begin" leaves no room for interpretation (to most
editors). It's an imperative in the English language, and "you" is
understood. It's just a basic rule of English.

> I don't interpret imperative writing as second-person
> focused, which would
> mean that the document was written for me, the reader.

But that's what it is. Why don't you read an imperative as an imperative?

When
> I am a reader
> of documents, I am usually an editor and I am thinking about
> the user of the
> document.

An editor puts herself in the position of the actual user of the document,
to whom the document is generally addressed.

In my head, I fill in the blank with "the user," a
> third person.

I know of no editors who do this; it's actually a disservice to the actual
user, who is being directly addressed with the imperative. There is no
wiggle room, no fill-in-the blank. We cannot decide to arbitrarily interpret
English in a way that contravenes all accepted notions and call ourselves
professional editors.

> So for me, the document is sometimes third-person imperative.
> This is also
> how I write. I don't know the grammatical terms for my
> writing preferences,
> although, for me, "second-person imperative" is a misnomer.

You can make your own rules, of course, but they don't correspond to what
most editors and writers are doing in English.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList