RE: Problem with Excel

Subject: RE: Problem with Excel
From: "AL Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>, "'Dana Worley \(webmail\)'" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:20:27 -0500

Sharon Burton wrote:

>I've noticed my desktop computer (XP and Office 2000) has started doing
this same thing. Seemed to have started about 2 weeks ago.<

This is just about the same time I noticed the problem.

>I go to Windows Explorer, find the Word or Excel file I want (the file
shows the correct association and icon), double-click it to open. The
correct application opens but the file is not opened. If I leave the
application open, go back to Explorer and double-click the file again, NOW
it opens in the application.<

My problem hasn't show up with Word yet. However, if I open the application,
then I can either double click the file in Explorer and it loads into the
application, or I can drag-and-drop it into the application and it loads. If
I double click the file without the application loaded, the application
opens, but it does not load the file.

>I find it annoying but not a deal breaker. Perhaps MS patched us and this
is the result? I can see a security reason - this prevents a script from
opening a bad file and having the bad file run all by itself.<

It might be a security issue, but if the "update" affects how users access
programs, then Microsoft should at least tell us. Personally, I think it was
a bug in one of their patches and it will remain a bug because it's a way to
move people from 2000 and XP to the memory hog they call Vista.

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Help, Web Design, Award Wining Videos
Office/Msg: 802-872-9190
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
Website: www.geistassociates.com
See also:
Fine Art Photographer and Note Cards for Special Occasions
Website: www.geistimages.com

" ... I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking. Better to be a
pilgrim without a destination, I figured, than to cross the wrong threshold
every day." (Anon)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList