Re: Negotiating for salary and enhancers

Subject: Re: Negotiating for salary and enhancers
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 08:06:32 -0800

First, forget the comparison between your "contractor" rate
and direct-hire rate and concentrate on the actual amount vs.
your needs. It sounds as if you've already done that.

Since you've already been there for a while, you're probably
not going to get the usual salary discussion opportunity that
comes up in most interviews ("what are you looking for as
a salary, etc."), but you do have the advantage of being able
to talk directly with your future manager about enhacing the
offer terms. Unlike HR, your manager is familiar with your
abilities and accomplishments by now, and knows how
hard it's going to be to find someone else if you don't take
the job.

In your case, the time to bring up a signing bonus or any
other enhancements is probably now; the company has
already "opened negotiations" by telling you that the
offer being prepared is going to be less than what
they're paying you now. How to do it depends on the
people, but I would make some generic inquiry as to
whether that "well below" can be sweetened in any
way, either monetarily or non, and see what they say.
If they respond positively, one approach may be to
make a list of possible enhancements and let them
check off things that would work for the company.
Most hiring managers and HR people prefer to issue
one offer letter and have it accepted immediately.
Use your already-insider situation to give them the
chance to do that.

If the company is a large one, vacation schedules may
be set in stone. Discuss with your manager the possibility
of doing it under the table between the two of you, as in
you're "working from home" on "special projects" for
your manager but not really working.

The office and door: you can probably already tell just
by walking around. Are there many empty offices? Are
any other offices occupied by individual contributors, as
opposed to managers-only? If not, I'd forget this one.

STC membership is a fairly low-impact request for
most companies. Conferences are another matter.
The only way to know is by asking.

Don't forget to factor in the reduced cost to you of not
having to do that 30-50 mile drive every day!

Gene Kim-Eng