Re: Workflow for a release

Subject: Re: Workflow for a release
From: "Caroline Tabach" <caroline -dot- tabach -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Zen C" <zenizenc -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 14:33:03 +0200

You should first define what a release note contains.

Where I work, for a new release we add details to the user guides.
The release notes contain a short note about each new feature.
Screen shots do not go into the Release notes.
Release notes can also contain details about features that did not get into
the user guide.
There should indeed be a cut off point for updating user guides and creating
help files.
Release notes are typcially completed at the last minute as they may contain
details of bugs/limitations.

For next time.

You need to plan,
Generally the developers should know what they are supposed to develop, this
may be decided by their managers. There should be some sort of content for
the next defined release.
You need to get your hands on the list of contents for the release, or be in
contact with the programmers to see what they are doing.
They might have specs, or they might have meetings discussing development,
As an only TW, you will not have time to attend all meetings and write as
well, but you should be on the invitation list for the meetings so you will
know they are happening. After the meeting find out what happened, try and
be on the list of people who get sent the specs. When they are developing,
they should have dates for completing features, try to get that info too
When a software version goes to QA it should also have a list of new
features, that is something that can help you too.
All these things together should provide you with a list of what is being
developed and when.
If you have such a list and it is approved by someone, you have a piece of
paper which together with your boss you can say, these are the features I am
going to write about. Anything not on this list needs special approval!

Are you working in a country where the GUI designers write good English, if
not, offer to check the GUI for them, and you will also know what is being
developed.

User guides and help should often be completed a certain time before
software release so that they can go through QA, talk to QA in your company
to get an idea of these dates.

Maybe the points above can be of help to you

On 10/25/07, Zen C <zenizenc -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am working on release note and have been working on it for two weeks.
> While everything is finalized, sent to the responsible parties and suppose
> to go out on Friday they come up with 6 new changes that I have to add to
> the release notes and incorporate to the help. This has been the case for
> the last 3 release I did and luckily this time my boss took her stand and
> said that we need a cut off date for future releases. I am the only tech
> writer for the company so everything else is on hold as I am editing the
> documents a million times cos of all the GUI changes and new items they
> are
> bringing in.
>
> Does anyone one have a good work flow they follow, or a rough idea on what
> the best cut off dates are. I know it depends on the company and a lot of
> other factors, but it will be great if I can get some idea to suggest
> something feasible.
>
> Have a great day!
>
> Zen.
>
> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as caroline -dot- tabach -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/caroline.tabach%40gmail.com

Caroline Tabach
Technical Writer
e-mail: caroline -dot- tabach -at- gmail -dot- com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList