Re: once or twice...

Subject: Re: once or twice...
From: "Char James-Tanny" <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 14:46:15 -0400

> Internet and text messaging dialects may be linguistically interesting,
> but everyone knows what real writing looks like by the time they exit
> grade school (let's all light a candle for the hardworking grade school
> english teachers right now).

Well... ;-) I gave a keynote at the Yggdrasil Conference in Norway
this week on the future of communication. One of the things I talked
about was "text speak". It seems that high school teachers in my area
(Massachusetts) are sending letters home to parents because kids are
using text speak on exams and essays, not realizing that it is not
formal language.

On the flip side of the coin, New Zealand's Qualifications Authority
stated in November 2006 that high school students can use text speak
in exams (other than English). (Related link:
http://tinyurl.com/2r9y28.)

This shows how fluid the English language is. (For example, "podcast"
was the 2005 Word of the Year for the New Oxford American Dictionary.)

Char James-Tanny ~ JTF Associates, Inc. ~ http://www.helpstuff.com
Please send follow-up questions to the list. (Inquiries sent off-list
may not be seen.)
Contact me directly (CharJT at helpstuff dot com) with business inquiries.
2006-2007 Microsoft Help MVP
Find a Help Authoring Tool at HAT-Matrix.com ~ http://hat-matrix.com
Co-author of "Managing Virtual Teams" ~ http://www.wordware.com/wiki
AuthorIT Certified Consultant, Development, and Training
STC Secretary, 2006-2008
Web site Hosting and Design ~ http://www.jtfhosting.com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList