RE: re How many levels of indents and heads are reasonable?

Subject: RE: re How many levels of indents and heads are reasonable?
From: "Tariel, Lauren R" <lt34 -at- saclink -dot- csus -dot- edu>
To: <nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 08:46:16 -0700

I agree with Mark's suggestion. For me, it is hard to keep track of my place in the document when there are more than 5 levels, but some docs that follow (or try to follow) IEEE standards can get very nested. User documentation should not make demands on users to keep track of that many levels.

I just took a quick look at the IBM library to see what they do because they have a lot of documentation and they have documentation for large systems. Most of the books they have are no more than 3 levels deep, but some older books are 4 four levels and the older books occasionally contain section names in the heading numbering. By comparison between old and new, I think the cleaner, new format of 3 levels without section names is much easier to follow.

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/LIBRARY <http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/LIBRARY>

Lauren