RE: Spaces after full stop

Subject: RE: Spaces after full stop
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: <brianlindgren -at- aol -dot- com>, <dossy -at- panoptic -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 13:01:47 -0700

I don't know the rules of electronic typesetting. What I read refered to
some form of manual typesetting where punctuation with tails got damaged. I
don't know if what I read was in reference to hot-metal or some other
technique.

I learned a little bit about linotype when I was child and my mother worked
for a newspaper, but the rule of two spaces, in the booklet that I haven't
seen in 16 years, was in reference to a typesetting process that damaged
punctuation and the rule was only to protect punctuation and not to preserve
a convention from earlier writing styles. My "source," as it were, also
argued for the elimination of the extra space because modern word processors
do not need to protect punctuation. I still use two spaces because two
spaces reads easier for me.

In reference to your side note of other rules, I am not a fan of unnecessary
hyphens, but they do help avoid confusion. I have seen "cooperation"
spelled as "co-operation," which is very odd, but when "co-workers" is
spelled as "coworkers," then there is an issue where a hyphen can prevent
the connotation of an unusual word.

Lauren