Guess what: we suck! (take II)

Subject: Guess what: we suck! (take II)
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Eric Dunn <dunn -dot- eric -dot- l -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:01:40 -0400

Eric Dunn noted: <<But here's the catch, nobody is likely to pay 20-30
$ more for the software with the good manual while they will hunt for
cheaper software, grumble about the manuals, and happily put down
20-30$ for an after market manual and recommend the same to all their
friends.>>

That's no catch -- really! Does it take any longer to write 500 pages
of "for Dummies" book than it takes to write 500 pages of "by
Dummies" book? <g> Nope! Does it cost any more to print it? Nope...
it should cost less, because we're producing more copies (one per
copy of the software), thus the cost per book is lower. Does it take
longer? Presumably not, since these books come out about as fast as
the software, and the authors don't even have the same lead time or
access to the SMEs that we have.

_That's_ my point: If they can do it, why can't we? Many reasons,
actually, and each of them is something we should be working on with
our own clients.

-- Geoff Hart
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
www.geoff-hart.com
***Now available*** _Effective onscreen editing_
(http://www.geoff-hart.com/home/onscreen-book.htm)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList