RE: Another Word question

Subject: RE: Another Word question
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Zen C'" <zenizenc -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 11:14:02 -0700

Zen,

I like that name. Is it your given name or did you pick it?

When you insert your Chapter Name in your header on your second page, you
don't need to re-insert on subsequent pages unless you have different
sections.

Also, how are you inserting your Chapter Name? It's probably best to make
sure that Chapter Name is a heading and insert it as a cross-reference. How
to: Insert >> Reference >> Cross-reference... >> <Select "Heading" as the
Reference type> <Choose whatever you want as "Insert reference to:"
"Heading Text" is probably what you want and it is the default.> If the
text gets jacked, then update the field with F9 to fix it.
There are other ways to insert updateable text, but using a heading as a
cross-reference works well.

Another way to insert text in multiple locations but update it in one is to
link a file. You create a text file with just the chapter name and insert
the file as a linked file. Format the text in your Word document because it
will look like crap. Then, when the text file is changed, update the text
in the document. You can stick that link anywhere you want, but quickly see
that you are probably better off using text in the document rather than
creating separate documents.

Lauren