TOC for Functional Spec template

Subject: TOC for Functional Spec template
From: "Jacqueline Fry" <jfry -at- intellitactics -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 07:13:06 -0600

Hello all. I am trying to come up with a new Functional Spec template. After some research, I have come up with the following TOC. Please let me know - does it seem too detailed? Not detailed enough? What sections am I overlooking/missing?

1. Introduction
1.1. Purpose
1.2. Scope
1.3. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations
1.4. References
1.5. Contact Information
2. Overall Description
2.1. Development Methods
2.2. Product Perspective
2.3. Product Components/Functions
2.4. Product Constraints
2.5. User Classes and Characteristics
2.6. Operating Environment
2.7. User Environment
2.8. Proposed Future Requirements
2.9. Assumptions and Dependencies
3. External Interface Requirements?
3.1. User Interfaces
3.2. Hardware Interfaces
3.3. Software Interfaces
3.4. Communication Protocols and Interfaces
4. System Architecture
4.1. Subsystem Architecture
5. Specific Requirements (Detailed System Design?)
5.1. Classification
5.2. Definition
5.3. Responsibilities
5.4. Constraints
5.5. Composition
5.6. Uses/Interactions
5.7. Resources
5.8. Processing
5.9. Interface/Exports
6. Non-Functional Requirements
6.1. Performance Requirements
6.2. Safety Requirements (if applicable)
6.3. Security Requirements
6.4. Software Quality Attributes
6.5. Project Documentation
6.6. User Documentation
7. Naming Conventions and Best Practices
7.1. Coding Guidelines and Conventions
7.2. Glossary?
8. Issues
9. Test Cases?

Thanks for your time and any feedback you may have.

Jacqueline Fry
Technical Documentation Lead

Intellitactics
phone: 519.620.7227 x 126
email: jfry -at- intellitactics -dot- com
web: www.intellitactics.com <http://www.intellitactics.com/>

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList